Thursday 5 April 2012

MARCUS BRUTUS






 First, Brutus is a well-respected public figure and a genius military leader. His recognition is acknowledged many times throughout this play. The crowd at Caesar’s funeral regarded and praised Brutus in the highest of fashions. Brutus shows his military genius in his battles in Philippi. When Titinius receives news of Brutus’ battle one realizes that Brutus is a good military leader. Messala tells one that Octavius has been overthrown by noble Brutus’ power. Showing that noble Brutus is a well-respected public figure and a genius military leader.

The noble Brutus is also a kind master to his servants and a loving friend. He keeps his servant busy yet he still feels indebted to keep him well nourished. Brutus is the truest friend one could ever have. The only thing that surpasses his love for his friends is his love for Rome. He has complete trust for a friend and he is also trustworthy to a friend.

Last, Brutus’ gullibility is ironically one of his purest character traits yet his fatal flaw. It is very innocent of Brutus to trust everything that Cassius and the conspirators tell him. It would be good to trust them only if they were not deceptive. He ignores Cassius’ suggestion to kill Antony, believing Antony could bring no harm. He again chooses to ignore Cassius' advice and allows Antony to speak a funeral oration over Caesar's body. Brutus believed Antony would make the crowd more comfortable because Antony was one of Caesars dear friends. Allowing Antony to speak in the funeral may not have been such a bad idea, but allowing him to get in the last word had a catastrophic result. The reason why these two incidents happened is because Brutus failed to realize not everybody is noble, and pure such as Brutus himself.
During Julius Caesar funeral Brutus have given a speech in front of all Roman people. Below is the text of Brutus speech:



BRUTUS

Be patient till the last
Romans, countrymen, and lovers! hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear: believe me
for mine honour, and have respect to mine honour, that
you may believe: censure me in your wisdom, and
awake your senses, that you may the better judge.
If there be any in this assembly, any dear friend of
Caesar's, to him I say, that Brutus' love to Caesar
was no less than his. If then that friend demand
why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer:–
Not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved
Rome more. Had you rather Caesar were living and
die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live
all free men? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him;
as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
ambition. Who is here so base that would be a
bondman? If any, speak; for him have I offended.
Who is here so rude that would not be a Roman? If
any, speak; for him have I offended. Who is here so
vile that will not love his country? If any, speak;
for him have I offended. I pause for a reply.

All
None, Brutus, none

BRUTUS
Then none have I offended. I have done no more to
Caesar than you shall do to Brutus. The question of
his death is enrolled in the Capitol; his glory not
extenuated, wherein he was worthy, nor his offences
enforced, for which he suffered death.


During his speech, he tries to appeal to the citizens’ reason and national pride. He explains his reasons and is straightforward. For example in his speech he says, “If then that friend demand why Brutus rose against Caesar, this is my answer- not that I loved Caesar less, but that I loved Rome more.” Brutus's speech was logical. It contained facts about Caesar's ambition. He reminded the people that Caesar would have become a tyrant and would have enslaved everyone. Brutus clearly states to the citizen’s that he killed Caesar for the good of Rome. Brutus is indeed persuasive, but not as persuasive as Antony. Of course the gullible crowd is pleased to hear that Brutus loves Rome. But they cannot grasp the concept of being assassinated for ambition, as Brutus did not say in what way Caesar was ambitious or why he should be so severely punished.



No comments:

Post a Comment